HOME TAIPEI DINING
FUN MAGAZINE November 2008
The Chaine des Rotisseurs is a
gastronomic society that dates
back to 1248 at the royal court
of France. www.chaine.tw
Chaine Chef Special Pick of the Month-Fried Shrimp Cakes with Fruits & Vegetables
By Courtney Donovan Smith Translated by Ann Lee
Photos by Andy Lin
Ever Green Restaurant
6, ZhongYang Rd, Sec 3, Tucheng City, Taipei County
Hours: 10 am-10 pm
MRT: YongNing Station
Credit cards accepted. 10% service charge.
Chef: Shih Jian-fa
This month's Chaine chef of the month is renowned author and international award-winning Shih Chien-fa, owner of two Ever Green restaurants in Tucheng city. He introduces us to this light, exciting dish of his own creation.
Section 1: sliced white bamboo shoots(8g), sliced cucumber(8g), sliced carrots & Chinese radish(8g each), sliced onions(8g).
Section 2: sliced apples(8g), sliced pears(8g), sliced pineapple(8g), sliced tomatoes(8g), sliced mango(8g).
Section 3: sliced taro (10g), coriander (1 piece), basil (2 pieces), fried shallots (2g), Fried, chopped peanuts (2g), rice vermicelli (3g).
Sauce A－salad dressing (20g), orange juice (5g)
Sauce B－Japanese-style He-Feng salad dressing, zisu plum (1x)
◎Ingredients for the shrimp cake:
fresh shrimps (40g), white, thin noodles (15g), finely chopped celery (15g)
Steps for making shrimp cakes:
A nice, warm crunchy texture, contrasts with other the cool dish, with a nice aftertaste.
1. Mix Sauce A & B
2. Mash shrimp to paste. Mix fried shallots, fresh shrimps and finely chopped celery to glutinous mash. Twirl white, thin noodles in a circle, dip glutinous mash into egg, place on circle, and deep fry for 3 minutes.
2.5 Place some Sauce A on plate, place finished item on top, decorate plate with Sauce A.
3. Cut up with knife.
4. Dip in Sauce A.
Taro Cake with Fruits & Vegetables:
This complex mix of flavors & textures, has both a sweet and sour taste.
1. Mix Sec. 1 ingredients, add ice and water, then pour out water, and allow time for Sec.1 ingredients to drain.
2. Add in Sec. 2 ingredients.
3. Add in fried shallots, basil and coriander..
4. Wrap sliced taro around circular vegetable or object to make shape, deep fry for a minute and a half.